Forum MemberPosts: 55
Like?
Re: The One Real Concern Mentioned....
In reply to SHood, Apr 17, 2013

SHood wrote:

ElessarJD wrote:

Joel Stern wrote:

jimr wrote:

"Our early impressions of the image quality are that the JPEG engine is not doing as well as Nikon's in terms of getting the sensor's capability into a JPEG. We'll be testing the two cameras side-by-side in the coming weeks."

from Dpreview

Ricoh's jpeg engine is never there strong point, shoot RAW always.

This is unfortunate, as the camera is sized and priced to appeal to both enthusiasts and pros who want a portable compact camera without sacrificing image quality by going with cheaper models.  I fall into the category that would appreciate the better IQ, but don't necessarily want to go through processing all my pics in RAW.  At $800 it's like a P&S on steroids, but if you have to shoot RAW that sort of negates that type of usage.

I wouldn't consider it a P&S.  I shoot RAW only, with my RX100 too.

I didn't say it was strictly a P&S.  My point was, given where it's priced and it's size, it can be a little bit of everything.  It can be a high quality P&S for low end users, or a DSLR replacement for a photographer on the go or something in between.  But if you have to shoot RAW, that limits who it's useful for.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow