Started Apr 3, 2013 | Questions thread
GeoffH
Regular MemberPosts: 219
Like?
Re: SD card vs Micro-SD w/ adapter‏
In reply to Aruta, Apr 17, 2013

Aruta wrote:

mgco wrote:

Are there major differences between the two assuming the camera card slot is for SD/SDHC/SDXC? (aside from the form/size factor of course)

SD form or MicroSD form for a camera fitted with an SD slot?

I see that there are more options for micro-SDs in stores nowadays - usually fitted with SD-form adapters. Would the performance of the adapted micro-SD card be the same as an SD card assuming both are of the same class and speed rating?

Any foreseeable risks involved in using adapted micro-SDs?

As far as I can tell, the adapter is only a piece of plastic with connectors to fit the micro card into a bigger slot. Should be no impact on performance.

Using a micro card, however, will mean you will be at a greater risk of losing it

If you leave the micro-SD card in the adapter there really isn't any greater chance of losing it. The one concern I have about using the micro-SD card in an adapter is the adapter is a possible failure point. I have a micro-SD card and adapter that I use in my D5100, and so far I have not had any issues with it. The underlying electronic components are the same no matter what, it is just a different package.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow