Before I take the plunge and purchase a Nikon D800e. Any thoughts on the rumored

Started Apr 15, 2013 | Discussions thread
KnightPhoto2
Senior MemberPosts: 1,341Gear list
Like?
Re: Before I take the plunge and purchase a Nikon D800e. Any thoughts on the rumored
In reply to Robin Casady, Apr 17, 2013

Robin Casady wrote:

Shotcents wrote:

Owners of the E will make all kinds of claims, but the dust has settled and most now know that the differences are very small.

I make the claim that there is a very large psychological difference between the D800 and the D800E.

But what is NOT small are the issues I see from the E when shooting video. Some will say it's not a big deal, but if you plan to do any serious video/filmaking with a D800, skip the E version. It creates significantly worse moire and edge artifacts. I've seen it first-hand.

I would like to see this difference. It seems to me that the AA filter in the D800 is not strong enough to have any affect on the down sampled video. I believe aliasing and moiré in video will be identical between the D800 and D800E.

Can you show me side-by-side examples?

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."
— Bertrand Russell

Just to be clear, video-moire and still-shot moire are two different phenomenon and not related.

Video-moire root cause is line-skipping and other processing related to downsizing a 36mp image down to a 2mp video-frame and is not known to be much affected by the AA or non-AA camera differences.  Both the D800 and D800E share the same video processing and therefore are considered equal in this regard.

-- hide signature --

Best Regards,
SteveK
'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/119002

KnightPhoto2's gear list:KnightPhoto2's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Nikon 1 V3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +19 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow