Started Apr 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
FiveByFour
New MemberPosts: 12
Like?
HS50EXR - first impressions from a Canon DSLR user
Apr 17, 2013

My first post on here, having just received my HS50EXR and trying it out.

The last bridge camera I had was a Finepix, about 7 years ago.  Since then I moved on to Canon DSLRs, a 20D, a 5D Mk1, and a 500D.

I really noticed the upgrade large sensor quality (APSC and Full Frame) with the big reduction in noise at 1:1.  I collected my lenses, mostly secondhand, including a few high quality primes, like a Pentax 50mm f1.4 smc and an Olympus 80mm Macro. They all work really well on the Canon bodies with the very cheap but good quality Chinese chipped lens adapters. I compared them with EOS lenses using test charts and I'm used to getting very sharp results.

I still means a bagfull of equipment though, and the large sensors keep the lenses bulky and the need for several to get the full focal length range from say, 24mm to 1000mm mirror. Even allowing for the APS multiplier, the excellent EOS 75mm-300mm only gives me about 450mm at 35mm equivalent.

Apologies for boring some people with all that non-Fuji detail, but I wanted to set the scene, to show where I'm coming from with this thread.

I bought the HS50EXR as a "carry everywhere" camera, because by comparison it's very light and small compared with a bag of DSLR stuff.

I wanted a long focal range. so 24mm to 1000m is good, built-in macro, 1080p video at 50 or 60 fps, and a usable EVF.

I expected noisy pixels at 1:1 viewing but hoped that they wouldn't be too noticeable at lower magnification. The results so far have really impressed me. In good light and low ISO it's nearly as good as the Canon 500D. (nearly, I said !). The new sehsnsor and processor certainly seem good.

The video is really good and more usable IMHO than most sub £600 dedicated video cameras because of the EVF, which none seem to have at that price. The image stabilisation and autofocus seem just as good as them too.

I was also pleasantly surprised to see that it takes the same generic batteries as most of the HS range, so cheap clones are already available at a fraction of the OEM price. Not so with the remote release though, the sudden change to a smaller connector means I have to wait for the RR80A to be more widely made, like the RR80 that fitted the earlier models.

Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 500D (EOS Rebel T1i / EOS Kiss X3) Canon EOS 5D Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow