Cleaning: Methanol, Ethanol, Isopropyl, Alcohol, Ammonia, Hydrogen peroxide, breath

Started Apr 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
LifeIsAVerb
Senior MemberPosts: 1,028
Like?
Re: Cleaning: Methanol, Ethanol, Isopropyl, Alcohol, Ammonia, Hydrogen peroxide, breath
In reply to andyit, Apr 17, 2013

The only liquid cleaner i've ever used to clean exterior surfaces of lens glass is ROR/Residual Oil Remover™. A small bottle lasts forever, unless one regularly takes pictures in really dusty/dirty places.

My typcial lens cleaning procedure: A couple of rounds of alternate brushing and blowing. Put a drop (maybe two) of ROR on the end of couple of pieces of wadded lens tissue. Apply to lens in gentle, swirling motions, covering the lens surface thoroughly. Go back over the lens with a couple of pieces of dry tissue. Brush and blow some more to get rid of any fibers from the lens tissue (there are always a few). I do the same with my filter, and put it immediately back on.

For the sensor, so far, i've been getting away with using the camera's vibration cleaning function and a small blower. Pretty much what Sony recommends.

I'll probably pick up some Eclipse materials just to have on hand for the inevitable dust that won't come loose from the above procedure.

I found this which seems pretty authoritative and complete as far as sensor cleaning goes.

I think if i had internal lens fungus, i'd take the lens to a camera repair shop.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow