Olympus E-PL5 or Panasonic Lumix G5

Started Apr 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
bowportes
Senior MemberPosts: 1,480Gear list
Like?
Re: Olympus E-PL5 or Panasonic Lumix G5
In reply to BigLoggerhead, Apr 17, 2013

I own both the E-PL5 and G5, and typically grab the E-PL5 with a pancake prime or zoom when I want something very light along "just in case" I see something I want to photograph.  When I know I am going to be focusing upon photography, I grab the G5 with more (and heavier) lenses.

Many of the strengths/weaknesses of each have been mentioned.  These are the ones that stand out for me.

G5:

Pinpoint autofocus.  In general, I like the autofocus controls and access on the G5 better than the EPL5.

Electronic (silent) shutter. Works well in a church, lecture hall, presentation, etc.

Built-in flash -- very useful for fill-flash outdoors.

Much better balance with heavier lenses, such as the excellent Panny 12-35mm f2.8 lens.

LCD -- The image is much larger than the EPL5, and so is easier to see in bright light.

Custom Settings -- Many are speaking of "mysets" on the EPL5, but the G5 does the same with its Custom settings, and Panny has been doing this for a long time

Fully articulating screen -- useful in portrait mode and for turning the camera to the side while you look forward at the LCD

Creative filters -- They are different on the G5 than the EPL5, but about as effective, just different options.

Image quality -- In spite of the fact that the EPL5 is rated as having a better sensor, in most lighting situations, I couldn't tell you which camera produced the shot.  I'm a raw shooter, and the difference between the cameras is less pronounced in raw than in jpeg.

Ergonomics -- The G5, in my opinion, has better ergonomics than any prior G-series camera.  They got the grip/size ratio just right in my opinion.

Front lever control -- The lever behind the shutter release can be used for under/overexposure while the rear wheel is used for aperture or shutter-speed control.  It's like having a dedicated front and rear wheel for different purposes -- MUCH better than the fiddly little dial on the EPL5 which attempts to control everything.

Corrects for chromatic aberration in-camera -- I have to do this after the fact with the EPL5.

EPL5

IBIS. IBIS. Very nice, but not important if you plan to primarily use lenses with OIS. Important, on the other hand, if you'll be doing a lot of low light work with unstabilized prime lenses.

Small.

Nice image quality.

Remote control of off-camera flashes opens up creative possibilities for flash photography.

Nice implementation of tilt screen, even though the 4:3 image is small because the screen is not sized to 4:3.

Delayed shutter control lets you minimize possibility of shutter shock (just as electronic shutter does for G5).

Live view blinkies that you see before taking the shot, effectively lowering the likelihood of clipped highlights.

It says "olympus" and gives you the image quality of the EM5 in a smaller/cheaper package.

If you shoot raw, it lets you apply creative filters, settings, etc. AFTER THE FACT, when you're reviewing images in the camera.  It's nice to be able to do basic post-processing in-camera.

I hope this is helpful.  They are complementary cameras in many ways.

bowportes's gear list:bowportes's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm X-T1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow