Lightroom 5 is out

Started Apr 15, 2013 | Discussions thread
Bob Tullis
Forum ProPosts: 26,595Gear list
Like?
Re: Don't like some of the changes
In reply to StevenN, Apr 17, 2013

StevenN wrote:

I've only tried Lightroom 5 out briefly, but I already miss the Recovery slider and Fill light slider that they've eliminated.

I'm talking about the differences from Lightroom 3.6 (I was going to get version 4 -- until 5 beta came out).

Under the Basic controls, here's the differences:

Lightroom 3.6                                       Lightroom 5

Exposure                                                Exposure

Recovery                                                Contrast

Fill Light                                                 Highlights

Blacks                                                    Shadows

Brightness                                              Whites

Contrast                                                 Blacks

I worked on a raw photo that I previously had worked on in Lightroom 3.6, and I wasn't able to achieve the same pleasing result with version 5. But I understand that this is still in beta, so it should get better.

-- hide signature --

StevenN

I felt the same way going from v3 to v4 initially, but in fact the algorithms involved are dramatically better.   v4 gave new life to existing RAW exposures, like that old camera suddenly had a new sensor.   The practice of taking multiple exposures for HDR type blending has become very much less necessary - when I do execute such, most times one of the bracketed exposures is all that's required.

I ended up getting Martin Evening's LR4 book, which gave a lot of insight into the differences obvious and under the hood.  Give LR5 and yourself a chance to get to know each other - not to would be a disservice to your photography [g].

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Little Big Man

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow