Cleaning: Methanol, Ethanol, Isopropyl, Alcohol, Ammonia, Hydrogen peroxide, breath

Started Apr 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
KM Legacy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,955
Like?
Re: Cleaning: Methanol, Ethanol, Isopropyl, Alcohol, Ammonia, Hydrogen peroxide, breath
In reply to andyit, Apr 17, 2013

I would avoid using solvents like various alcohols on a lens. They could damage the cement holding some of the elements together. They could also seep down, dissolve oil,  and move it onto the diaphragm blades. I recommend lens cleaning fluid; there is a good brand marketed by Schneider (IIRC). But put a little on the tissue, not directly on the lens. I recommend lens tissue, although toilet paper works well as a substitute. Fogging with breath, then wiping with tissue or microfiber, gets rid of the last traces. The advantage of paper is that you throw it away, and don't spread dirt around as you can with a cloth, unless you wash it carefully.

I would never use ammonia on a lens. It's alkaline, and alkalis can etch glass. An optician told me never to use Windex on my glasses, which are plastic, because it could damage the coating.

You should be able to beam UV light at a lens without exposing your eyes and skin. Anyway, once fungus is cleaned off, the key to keeping it from coming back is to keep the lens dry, i.e. in a place with low humidity. You don't have to sterilize a lens to keep fungus from growing.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow