Cleaning: Methanol, Ethanol, Isopropyl, Alcohol, Ammonia, Hydrogen peroxide, breath

Started Apr 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
dark13star
Contributing MemberPosts: 972Gear list
Like?
Re: Cleaning: Methanol, Ethanol, Isopropyl, Alcohol, Ammonia, Hydrogen peroxide, breath
In reply to andyit, Apr 17, 2013

I've never had a fungus problem, even after rescuing lenses from our basement after the house burned down and they were soaked. I just dried them out (note, this was back in 1984 and the lenses were 1967 Nikors).

For lenses, I carry a lens brush all the time. It is my preferred method. However, sometimes you need wet cleaning, so I also carry microfiber and Zeiss lens cleaner. For years, I used the old tissue and still have tons of it, but I like microfibers and they are washable.

For sensors, I've been using the Eclipse/pec pad method on every one of my digitals since the D70. I started with the Copper Hill kit for APSC and now also have the kit for FF. I really like the lighted loupe that is included in the kit. It is great for inspecting the sensor for streaks or residue after wet cleaning, or finding one stuck bit of dust.

I've only had one bad experience with wet cleaning and it was on my Nex-7 after returning from a very dusty trip in Africa. I cleaned the sensor as usual and it immediately dried to a has across the whole sensor. I think my Eclipse was old. I read that it will take on water from the atmosphere and stabilize at 80% concentration instead of the pure 100% at packaging. I opened a new bottle and got to scrubbing, quite literally. I had to scrub carefully around the whole sensor to remove the haze. I went through several pec pads and abandoned the swipe method until I got it fairly clean with scrubbing. Removing the haze from the corners was difficult and the loupe was essential.

The sensors (or really the glass filters) are really far more rugged than people make them out to be. Sensor cleaning is not like microsurgery. I think it would be hard to actually damage one unless you were really scrubbing some rough grit and scratched the glass. The more likely damage would be too much liquid that leaks out below the filter. I use one drop per side of the swipe.

Cheers
Rich

dark13star's gear list:dark13star's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D600 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow