Cleaning: Methanol, Ethanol, Isopropyl, Alcohol, Ammonia, Hydrogen peroxide, breath

Started Apr 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
andyit
Junior MemberPosts: 31
Like?
Re: Cleaning: Methanol, Ethanol, Isopropyl, Alcohol, Ammonia, Hydrogen peroxide, breath
In reply to dannytang, Apr 17, 2013

hi Danny, thanks for your post. I read at the end of the article "Update: Nikon has updated its support page to remove the acid reference discussed in this post." Maybe they realized this could be really funny for someone.

I quote some interesting comments:

Stephan Zielinski: "According to Exhaled breath condensate: methodological recommendations and unresolved questions, what one gets when exhaled breath condenses has a pH in the range of 7.4 to 8.8. This not only is not acidic, it is slightly basic."

and when they talk about a water + CO2 reaction...

madmax: "The reaction is correct: CO2+H2O= CO3H2, but CO2 is all around us. Then better don´t put your lens near plants, animals, cars, motorcycles and factories. And better don´t use your lens in our atmosphere as it also contains CO2..."

Honestly I think since Nikon try to sell their cleaning fluid they won't ever say that breathing could be enough, in any case.

Danny, do you have some other scientific proof that breathe is acid and can seriously ruin lenses?

thanks again

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow