Utra wide angle lens or speedbooster (NEX 7)

Started Apr 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
SimonOL
Contributing MemberPosts: 871Gear list
Like?
Utra wide angle lens or speedbooster (NEX 7)
Apr 17, 2013

I am just exploring options for UWA lenses for my NEX-7 mainly for architecture and interior shots. After a lot of searching/research and looking at sample images, I thought I'd ask some advice from those in the know

I already have the SEL16F28 - it's OK, but often not really good enough. I would like to go wider if possible but have better IQ. The 10-18 UWA zoom lens looks good but the cost is off-putting.

I have experimented with 2 cheaper legacy options; a Tokina 17mm f/3.5 and a Tamron SP 17mm f/3.5. I've yet to find a copy of either that doesn't suffer from decentering to some degree. These seem to be the widest non-fisheye legacy lenses.

I like the results I've seen from the Voigtlander (CV) 15mm despite the need for cornerfix to sort out magenta colour shift on the NEX-7. Is this a good option?

The other option would be to go for a Metabones speedbooster (maybe FD mount?) and use more commonly available wide angle lenses without having to consider the 1.5x crop factor...

What do you think?

SimonOL's gear list:SimonOL's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +3 more
Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow