Cleaning: Methanol, Ethanol, Isopropyl, Alcohol, Ammonia, Hydrogen peroxide, breath

Started Apr 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
andyit
Junior MemberPosts: 31
Like?
Cleaning: Methanol, Ethanol, Isopropyl, Alcohol, Ammonia, Hydrogen peroxide, breath
Apr 17, 2013

Hi, I would like to know your opinion about these sensor/lens/fungus cleaning fluids for our NEX.

What is the best, the cheapest, the exact grade to consider and where to buy on common sites like ebay or amazon...

I'd like to make here for a definitive guide to clean:

1)the sensor

2)the lens when it's very dirty, after a good air blowing

3)the lens with fungus

My experience: For the sensor I've read a lot about Eclipse (100% methanol?) with pec pads, but also using methanol, some prefer ethanol and others pure isopropyl alcohol. There are some wet swabs on ebay, I used them and all I have to say it's... avoid them. I tried wet first but they left traces, then dry ones to remove them... no way. I ended by breathing to remove damn wet swabs traces, not perfectly. With wrong tools you clean and actually make the sensor...dirtier. Watch out

As for the lens some people say it's better to avoid using fluids if it is not so dirty and to use air blower, synthetic brush and simple breath+pec pads or cloths. Some use cigarette smoking papers (me too) but even smoking papers are very different... which is your prefered brand-type? Some suggest microfibre cloths with lens cleaning fluid, but what is the best, cheapest and "easy to find" fluid for lens cleaning? I forgot to say that you have to choose and use fluids very carefully, use a safe one not to ruin multicoating layers.

Fighting versus fungus: I've read to use q-tips in a 50/50 mix of Ammonia (pure) and hydrogen peroxide (how many volumes?). Or cold cream followed by water+mild soap. Or Uv-c lamps (how long and what wattage?) to kill it and avoid spreading, but is seems to be harmful for eyes and skin (do use sunglasses!). Remember to protect plastic parts shielding everything but the lens with aluminum sheets, and expose the lens from the back because front elements may have uv filtering coatings.

Please add your suggestions, this could be useful for everyone. thanks,

Andrea

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow