Is the Nikkor 70-200/2,8 VR-I good enough for full frame digital (D600/D800) ?

Started Apr 12, 2013 | Questions thread
MikeInIndy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,075Gear list
Like?
Re: Is the Nikkor 70-200/2,8 VR-I good enough for full frame digital (D600/D800) ?
In reply to D L Miller, Apr 17, 2013

D L Miller wrote:

I own both the 70-200/2.8 VR-1 & the new f4 ver.   The f4 is on my D4, 90% of the time. Much lighter and I find the pictures very sharp.... plus the focus is very fast...

With the great results from the high ISO setting with my D4, plus the f4 and its great VR, I find I rarely need my 70-200 f2.8..

The f4 is the first lens I ever bought that was not the "fastest" version of a lens.  I love the 70-200 f4 so much I even bought the 24-120 f4 and the 16-35 f4 and love all 3.  I rarely use my 24-70 etc any more.  The f4's are lighter and take great pictures...

I still love my 17-55 f2.8 on my D2x... still produces some of my best photos.....

-- hide signature --

D2x / D4 shooter

I agree wholeheartedly.  I ordered a VRII and while I was waiting on the back orders during the instant savings deal I read enough positive reviews of the f4 to skip it and buy that instead.  I couldn't be happier.  Aside from the extra stop I have not seen anything to suggest the VRII has any real advantage over the f4 version.  It's definitely a significant upgrade from the VR1 in virtually all categories other than aperture.  Its focus is laser precise and instant, it's sharp all over, no vignetting of note even on FX, works great with TCs, way lighter, etc.  I'm also quite pleased with the 16-35 f4 and the kit 24-85 on my D600.  Frankly with the noise performance of new cameras I think Nikon stopped caring about aperture and started focusing on making the cameras focus well with slower glass and making the slower glass razor sharp wide open.  Times are changing and they're trying to take advantage and give shooters lighter smaller options that dont sacrifice much.

-- hide signature --

-Mike

MikeInIndy's gear list:MikeInIndy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Nikon Coolpix 950 Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D600 +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow