Olympus E-PL5 or Panasonic Lumix G5

Started Apr 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
JCB123
Senior MemberPosts: 1,132Gear list
Like?
Re: Olympus E-PL5 or Panasonic Lumix G5
In reply to BigLoggerhead, Apr 17, 2013

BigLoggerhead wrote:

So I'm about to purchase my first interchangeable lens camera and have finally narrowed it down to the two listed in the thread title. From what I can tell in doing research is that both  cameras are exceptional and both are in the budget I've set of around $500. However, there are differences which I'm sure many of you are aware of. I had pretty much decided on the Olympus when I came across the G5. I like the fact that the E-PL5 has the same sensor as the OMD which has been producing some great images but I also like the fact that the G5 has a viewfinder and is slightly larger. (I have big hands) The only thing I wonder about with the G5 is the stabilization system. Is on board stabilization better than the system being built into the lens?

HELP! I like both of these cameras and need help deciding on which one to purchase. Right now I'm leaning towards the Olympus but I'm open minded. Any input is appreciated.

I have a GH2 and the E-PL5. The E-PL5 has better image quality than the GH2 most notably at higher ISOs. I like the ergonomics of the GH2 but IMO the G5 is not so good. The E-PL5 does not have a great many external controls and the layout could be better, but I find that setting up mysets and assigning them to mode dial positions in conjunction with configuring the camera to display the super control panel (SPC) with a single button press, that the E-PL5 allows for quick enough settings changes. The GH2 had the advantage that you could look at the controls to check settings even with the camera switched OFF. The G5 still has this advantage but not so much.

The G5 and E-PL5 are very different cameras to hold, handle and use, and no-one else can advise you about which you might prefer. You need to handle and take a few shots with both models. I find that I need to have a camera for a couple of days to play with configurations and see whether I like the access to settings etc.  I have never tried to evaluate two cameras side by side though.

For me although I prefer the ergonomics of the GH2, The E-Pl5 is the camera that I am using. The GH2 no longer gets any use at all. The G5 is a step down from the GH2 IMO so I would declare the E-PL5 the winner here. You will have different needs and preferences though.

Regards

John

JCB123's gear list:JCB123's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D90 Nikon D7000 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Nikon D7100
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow