D7100 - a couple of questionable characters I met on the trail yesterday...

Started Apr 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
RudyPohl
Senior MemberPosts: 3,023
Like?
Re: D7100 - a couple of questionable characters I met on the trail yesterday...
In reply to nkistrup, Apr 17, 2013

nkistrup wrote:

Rudy!  You are killing me with all of these great pictures.  Trying to keep myself from buying the D7100, until I have analyzed every key aspect of DSLR ownership (to death), and you keep showing me what I'm missing.

And it's not just the camera: Amazing how many great pictures that you getting out of the 70-300 lens.  For all we know, these are only your top 1% ... but even if true, I will be elated to get those kinds of results.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but are taking 14-bit raw, and doing minimal (of any) PP?

Niels

Hi Niels:

LOL, you're very funny!

What can I say? This camera is great, and so is the lens. I did the research on both and thought they were pretty good value and would do what I wanted. So far I have not been disappointed.

One of my key considerations in buying this lens was not just the cost, but it's weight and portability. I am an avid walker and walk 5 kilometers a day. I wanted to be able to upgrade to a top quality DSLR rig and still be able take it with me on my walks and this particular setup allows me to do that. AS well, the image quality on the 70-300 VR is not too shabby either..., it's a bit soft on the edges, but then again so am I.

Regarding your questions, yes I shoot in RAW, sometimes 14-bit sometimes compressed, I can't see a difference in what I am doing, just still experimenting. Re PPing, if the light was good and the subject fills at least half the frame then the PPing is minimal, but if the light was bad and/or the subject was far away (like little shy ducks, etc), then I have to do a lot more PPing to try to salvage the image, but if it really looks bad I'll just toss it out.

Cheers,

Rudy

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow