Why do older camera lenses have faster F-stops?

Started Apr 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
Barrie Davis
Forum ProPosts: 21,459
Like?
Re: Good Depth of Field
In reply to EinsteinsGhost, Apr 17, 2013

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

Barrie Davis wrote:

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

Barrie Davis wrote:

Historically, "good DoF" has always meant plenty of depthto the DoF referred to...

.... and NOT the opposite (shallowness).

It is my opinion it would be nice if we could keep it that way, for the sake of continuity, and of clarity.

I couldn’t care less about whether a historical perspective entailed either a deep or a shallow DOF for good DOF, personally to me, a good DOF isn’t defined on such “fixed” terms, rather, how it renders for a situation. It could be shallow, it could be deep, or somewhere in between.

Which doesn't clarify a darn thing, does it? Useless.

Clarify what?

Clarify what is MEANT, that's what!

Think about it.

If a poster comments that he wants a camera capable of "good DoF"...

-(which is something that now happens quite often)-

... are we supposed to understand he means SHALLOW DoF...[??]

-(which, these days, is very often what he DOES mean, in that he requires blurred backgrounds and has heard that this is a Depth of Field effect)-

....or are we supposed to understand "good DoF" as meaning DEEP  DoF, which is my position, is the traditional position, and is logical since it is DEPTH of field we are TALKING about!

Or are we supposed to take YOUR position, which is to understand nothing whatsoever by it, thus rendering the term useless to anybody.
Clear enough for you, now?

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Baz
:
"Ahh... But the thing is, these guys were no ORDINARY time travellers!"

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow