Olympus E-PL5 or Panasonic Lumix G5

Started Apr 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
Jorginho
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,581Gear list
Like?
I have EPl5 and Gh2
In reply to BigLoggerhead, Apr 17, 2013

GH2 is virtually the same as G5. Same sensor, better video, a bit more controls, similar size.

I bought EPL5 not forthe better IQ, but mainly to have a cam with me all the time. Now someone says that with the EVF the EL5 is bigger. That is not true at all. The body of the G5 is really more bulky. Much more bulky. And it weighs more. You can have the EVF in one pocket and the cam body in another if it won't fit. This is not possible with the G5. Gh2 was a cam that was too bulky to take with me all the time and EPL5 really is not.

Pro's G5:

- electronic shutter (does not wear out, no shuttershock so no blurring because of that).
- Ergonomics
- Swiveling display that is fully used
- Better balance with larger lenses
- Better manual controls
- Better video
- Lenses wit some aberations of Panny will be autocorrected in cam

Watch out for this:
- Oly lenses are not stabilsed, which for the greater focal lentghs or low light shooting is a clear disadvantage. So to me, the lens choice is more  a problem for Panny than Oly...but..

Pro's EPL5
- Size and weight
- IQ is notably better, a step you'd expect from a sensor that is one generation ahead
- JPEGS and arfilters are very usable, funto use and very good. I enjoyed these much more than I ever expected
- IBIS, all  lenses are stabilised. Also: preference setting (if you do use a lens with stabilsation that will automatically be used instead of IBIS)
- Mysets lets you configre four buttons to you favourite settings. So yu can set the cam for a special purpose, just set it via that button and you can go ahead. Great!

Watch out for this:
- Some Panasonic lenses show banding in high ISO shots and are not corrected in the body. The first thing seems sensor related (also banding with GH3), the second thing can easily be dealt with in LR.
- tiltable screen is 3"but only 2,5"is used. It is nice screen, but it is a bit strange also and not ideal.

If you want a very portable camera with the best IQ there is in m43s, it is the EPL5 to my mind. If you want the best allround cam which still is extremely small compared to DSLRs and you don't mind a bit more size and weight I think the G5 is the better camera.

Jorginho's gear list:Jorginho's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow