My Sony Nex 6 got stolen :(((

Started Apr 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
DtEW
Senior MemberPosts: 1,854Gear list
Like?
Re: My Sony Nex 6 got stolen :(((
In reply to MintTheCandy, Apr 17, 2013

MintTheCandy wrote:

Sorry if i can't explain it very well or if it doesnt make sense at all. But i just think buying another NEX6 is not worth the money since its not going to be something 'new' or i just need some lecture that the NEX6 is indeed equal or superior than the OMD.. As of now, I find the look and feel of the OMD pretty good. It's weather sealed and supports a variety of lenses. Produces pretty good IQ as well. I'm just confused if it is worth the change. But i guess i might get biased answers here, but then again maybe that's what i need for me to decide that i should just stick with the NEX line..

Well, you're going to get "biased" answers everywhere.  Objectivity doesn't exist.  And I won't pretend that saying, "I'm not being biased here" will mean anything to anybody.

Rather, if we accept that objectivity doesn't exist, and it's all subjective...  wouldn't it make sense to go back to the only subjective assessment that matters to this decision... that is, yours?

So I will pose a questions to you:  is your camera a tool for creativity, or a toy to be played with?

I think a truly honest answer for many people here on DPR will actually be some combination of the two.  The question lies then to which side you are biased toward.

If your camera is primarily a tool for creativity, both the NEX-6 and E-M5 will deliver much like each other, with only minor performance differences that anybody can adapt to and still take great pictures.  But mastering a new camera and its wholly different control scheme, OS, and quirks takes time and effort.

Back when I was in High School and playing tennis, I had a friend who would collect many copies of a conservative-looking racquet from a relatively uncommon make/model (here in the US, the make/model would be the Rossignol F200).  I thought it was a crappy racquet with all the new widebody and super-widebody(!) tennis racquets being the rage.  Little did I know then that there is advantage in becoming a master of your equipment, even if it wasn't the shiniest and newest thing on the market.

Unlike him, I would always buy whatever was new, because it was supposedly a better, more progressed product.  And I would spend a lot of time trying to master it, but in reality just figuring out what its strengths and weaknesses are, and what it can and can't do.

Needless to say, he got better at the game and I turned into a gearboy.

Of course, there is nothing wrong with enjoying the gloss and wonder of a new and interesting machine.  It isn't wrong to desire toys (not belittling the E-M5; the same can obviously be said if the situation was inverted and the NEX-6 would be the 'new toy' for you).

But again, the question is: is your camera a tool for creativity, or a toy to be played with?

And even if you can admit a truly honest answer... the question then is, do you aspire for that answer to be different?

DtEW's gear list:DtEW's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Canon EOS 6D Sony a6000 Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 IS USM +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow