Lowepro Flipside Sport 15l AW or 20l AW

Started Apr 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
MatthiasK
New MemberPosts: 6Gear list
Like?
Re: Lowepro Flipside Sport 15l AW or 20l AW
In reply to mosswings, Apr 17, 2013

mosswings wrote:

These are pretty much dedicated photo bags, with one big space to put all of your kit in.  The 20L is quite big (and deep - it fits pro bodies).  Very nice suspension and hipbelt, contemporary design (not overpadded). It's a bit short, particularly if you're 6' 2", so keep the camera weight close to your back - which you can't do with a design like this...it's goes against the outside of the bag by design.   I'm 6' and find most photo bags, including the supposed "hikers" bags, frustratingly short.  If you're thinking of using this as a quick mission bag it should do well, but I would advise keeping with the 20L bag if you want to use it to carry some fraction of the ten essentials for changing conditions AND all your kit.  You've probably got 10-12L of photo equipment, when organized.

As a point of reference, the Photo Sport 200AW can get a bit tight if you stow more than a sweater, and it's a 22L bag with almost 14L of personal storage.

That being said, it's a better suspended bag than the 200AW and people like Dan Bailey like the 15L, so there's something to be said for it, but it didn't wind my watch.

You could also consider the new Photo Sport Pro 30L - sort of the big brother of the 200AW - which has a large side-access camera compartment that is a lot more practical for grab-and-shoot than the Flipsides are.  Unfortunately you already have a 30L bag.

If you're a stop, select lens, compose, shoot sort of photographer the wide-open access of the Flipside may work better for you, but most of the time you will simply take off the pack and lay it down on the ground rather than try to rotate it around your waist.  So that dramatic picture of the adventure photog isn't seen in real life unless the ground is really muddy.

Played with it, but it doesn't fit my style.

Hi mosswings,

Thank you very much for your informative reply. I guess I am really looking for a quick mission bag. This means something for short hikes (~5h) where I only want to carry my camera gear, some snacks and drinks. For longer hikes where I need to carry more stuff I use my 30l backback.

The Slingshot 100 I have is not very comfortable with this amount of wheight and does not offer a tripod holder or any space for drinks and food. I hoped that the Flipside Sport 15l or 20l would offer me the tripod holder and the extra space I need without being too bulky. The body side access is not an important feature for me but I like the tripod holder of the Flipside sport series because it holds the tripod close to the back.

I did also look at the other "hikers" backpacks like the Photo Sport 200AW but either the camera compartment is too small, or I don't like the way the tripod is mounted.

MatthiasK's gear list:MatthiasK's gear list
Olympus E-30 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow