Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC HSM Macro (photo)

Started Apr 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
Kerusker
Contributing MemberPosts: 728Gear list
Like?
Re: Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC HSM Macro (photo)
In reply to Kyogle, Apr 17, 2013

Kyogle wrote:

I am so pleased with this lens has now  replaced  Pentax 55-300mm that I will be selling. It is more compact than the Pentax lens, has a more useful range for me and  faster and accurate  focusing.

David,

thanks for your assessment and your photo collection. If this lens replaces your DA 55-300, then I would like to know more about it. The macro is the latest version of the Sigma 18-250. It's optics was tested to be better than that of it's predecessor in a German magazine (FotoTest http://www.fototest-magazin.de/testdaten/?album=39&gallery=234). It's also smaller, lighter and more durable and it's price is getting down to about 375 EUR.

David, what's your personal experience with

1. mechanics - smoothenes of zooming in and out?
  2. bokeh?  Some of these kind of lenses have very busy bokeh.
  3. AF accuracy?
My experience with AF accuracy of Sigma 4x, 6x or 11x zooms is that they do FF at the wide end and BF at the long end. I.e. there is no optimal AF fine adjustment value which covers the zoom range. The combination of FF and busy bokeh can give very bad landscape results at the wide end. I'm looking for a good zoom in the 17-18 to 200-300 mm range as a base combined with an ad hoc selection of my primes.

Thanks for your help.

-- hide signature --

][.Kerusker
we don't see that we don't see (eye's blind spot)

Kerusker's gear list:Kerusker's gear list
Pentax K-5 II Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow