Started Apr 15, 2013 | Discussions thread
MisterBG
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,381
Like?
Re: Don't like some of the changes
In reply to RoelHendrickx, Apr 17, 2013

RoelHendrickx wrote:

StevenN wrote:

I've only tried Lightroom 5 out briefly, but I already miss the Recovery slider and Fill light slider that they've eliminated.

I'm talking about the differences from Lightroom 3.6 (I was going to get version 4 -- until 5 beta came out).

Under the Basic controls, here's the differences:

Lightroom 3.6                                       Lightroom 5

Exposure                                                Exposure

Recovery                                                Contrast

Fill Light                                                 Highlights

Blacks                                                    Shadows

Brightness                                              Whites

Contrast                                                 Blacks

I worked on a raw photo that I previously had worked on in Lightroom 3.6, and I wasn't able to achieve the same pleasing result with version 5. But I understand that this is still in beta, so it should get better.

The methodology changed between LR3 and LR4.

Takes some getting used to, but you will get there.

The new methodology is more logical, actually, with all sliders that affect "exposure" and light levels, resulting in brighter to the right and darker to the left.

In the old methodology, the "Blacks" level slider made the image darker when sliding to the right.

Since LR 4 was the first edition that I thought was worth the money, I'm not aware of the changes in the slider labelling compared to earlier versions, so I don't have to "unlearn" anything.

What I will say is that the highlight recovery in LR4 is better than any other raw developer programs that I've tried, and that's most of them.
The actual image manipulation tools in Lightroom seem to be simple and intuitive, although I cannot say that about some of the other features, although I slowly becoming more familiar with the program.

I've downloaded the LR 5 Beta but not yet had a chance to play with it.
It's a "doh!" situation when you've paid out for a piece of software and a new release comes along quite quickly. I hope Adobe's upgrade pricing is not too aggressive when the final release of LR5 comes out.

-- hide signature --

>The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow