Olympus E-PL5 or Panasonic Lumix G5

Started Apr 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
Marco Cinnirella
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,366Gear list
Like?
Re: Olympus E-PL5 or Panasonic Lumix G5
In reply to BigLoggerhead, Apr 17, 2013

At current prices the G5 is a better all around package - it offers hacked GH2 quality video, albeit without full manual control, a tweaked GH2 sensor with decent enough DR and not bad high ISO, good ergonomics, good EVF, very good rear LCD and quite nice build quality.

At one point I owned both cameras. The E-PL5 I found to have superb IQ and fantastic JPEGs. But as a person with large hands I could not get on with the tiny form factor, little fiddly external controls, cropped rear LCD and a few other niggles (I'm not a fan of the complex menu system). I eventually sold both cameras and now have a GH3 and GX1.

I was impressed, no question, with the IQ coming out of that sensor, but the other things spoiled it for me with the E-PL5. I couldn't really fault the G5 in contrast - its JPEGs don't quite look as nice as those from the Oly, neither does its high ISO, but as an overall package it ticked more boxes for me, albeit the G5 is a larger and non-pocketable camera.

-- hide signature --

"When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence." Ansell Adams.

Marco Cinnirella's gear list:Marco Cinnirella's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony SLT-A57 Fujifilm X-E1 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow