Tony Beach
Senior MemberPosts: 4,764
Like?
Re: Known issue with generations of Nikon bodies
In reply to marike6, Apr 17, 2013

marike6 wrote:

Tony Beach wrote:

marike6 wrote:

I've always felt that the Sony sensors have the tendency to easily blow out the red channel.

Other than your feeling, do you have any proof of this?

I'm surprised this is the first time you are hearing about this "red channel" issue re: some Sony sensor cameras.  This topic has been discussed at length since at least the D300.

It is certainly not the first time I've heard this issue raised.  I have been dealing with it for years and was an early adopter of the D300.  If you had read the numerous posts of mine in this thread then you should have realized that I have taken a long, hard look at this and I do not see the red channel being particularly prone to blowing out relative to the blue and green channels.

D300 Red Channel

Searching "D7000 Blown Red Channel" will also return a large number of threads and references to "blown red channel".

D7000 Red Channel

Very lame.  You think it is enough to just do a Google search and find lots of posts from people who offer advice to newbies?  What makes you think those people know what they are talking about?  Do they look at the Raw files to see if the red channel is blown?  Have you looked at the red channel to see if it is blown?  Have you compared Sony sensors to other sensors?

And Sony DSLR and NEX users also have discussed this tendency to easily clip in the red channel. Not sure what you mean by proof, but I doubt I'm the first person to make a correlation between Sony sensors and clipping the red channel.

I asked for proof and all you gave me was more opinions to bolster your own opinion -- I call that the blind leading the blind.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow