Steve Bingham
Forum ProPosts: 20,137Gear list
Like?
Re: D800e Red Oversaturation
In reply to Tony Beach, Apr 17, 2013

Tony Beach wrote:

someuy wrote:

Tony Beach wrote:

Adjusting EC on the camera is often required, but red presents no more problems (and often less) than bright clouds.  Here for instance is a test shot I took a few years ago where I was testing the red channel argument using Matrix metering with no exposure compensation (Center-weighted metering did in fact require some negative exposure compensation:

The context of this testing was the Picture Controls that Nikon introduced with the D300 and D3, and how using the D2X Picture Controls kept the reds from blowing out.  This is arguably a "hot red" scene, and the answer was not to underexpose but to instead choose a different Picture Control.

I'm confused - your example photograph and histogram certainly look under exposed to me.

That is a Raw histogram taken from the NEF using Rawnalyze.  Matrix metering on the D300 choose that EV, and there was (if I recall correctly) not a lot of headroom left in the file before the red channel would have indeed blown out, perhaps half a stop.  As I said, Center-weighted metering was blowing the red channel for this scene, so for that metering mode about half a stop of negative EC would have should have been used.

As for how it looks after being processed, it looks the same on my monitor as when I was looking at the helmet, at least on the calibrated monitors I have used to look at it.

"about half a stop of negative EC would have should have been used." Exactly what I said in the beginning!

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com
www.ghost-town-photography.com

Steve Bingham's gear list:Steve Bingham's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D7100 Nikon D610 Nikon D5300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +19 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow