Need advice reg. recently bought 35mm f/1.8 Dx lens

Started Apr 16, 2013 | Questions thread
faram k
Forum MemberPosts: 68Gear list
Like?
Re: Need advice reg. recently bought 35mm f/1.8 Dx lens
In reply to Guidenet, Apr 17, 2013

Guidenet wrote:

Now, Camera Labs did a comparison of several super ratio zoom lenses to the 35 f/1.8 and the sides and corners were horrendous in comparison to the prime lens. I'm not sure the 18-300 was part of it, but I'm sure it would be the same thing.

Thanks for responding Craig.

Yes, i did see the Cameralabs comparisons.

I did my tests just for the image centre, not the corners as i thought i'd sort out the centre sharpness issue first.

I don't think there's anything wrong with your 35 f/1.8 except maybe your expectations. I'd go out and create some compelling images rather than test charts. If you can't tell what you have in real life shooting, you might consider some other endeavor. I've never seen a great compelling composition of a test chart. You've got a decent camera and decent lens. Master them both and show us what you can do.

This is a good point. For my style of shooting, i think i've got the best APS-C DSLR in the market i.e. the D7000. Secondly, i've been very happy with the image quality of my 18-300mm zoom lens, including at 300mm (which includes the majority of my photos). So my equipment quality matches/surpasses my expectations. But what confuses me is that most reviewers/users think the 18-300 zoom has average/poor image quality, especially at 300mm (while i think its very good) and most of the reviewers/users say the 35mm f/1.8 has very good image quality - so i'd logically expect to find its IQ to be much better than that of the 18-300 but, in practice, i found them to be almost the same when stopped down a stop or two.

faram k's gear list:faram k's gear list
Nikon D7000 Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Kenko Teleplus Pro 300 AF 2.0x Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-300mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow