Need advice reg. recently bought 35mm f/1.8 Dx lens

Started Apr 16, 2013 | Questions thread
faram k
Forum MemberPosts: 78Gear list
Like?
Re: Need advice reg. recently bought 35mm f/1.8 Dx lens
In reply to gatorowl, Apr 17, 2013

gatorowl wrote:

I agree with the first part but disagree with the comparison to the kit.  If the OP's test results are accurate, I suspect the OP has a bad copy of the 35mm.

See the review of the 35mm lens at Cameralabs. The lens is sharper at 1.8 than the 16-85mm is at 4.5. The 16-85mm is considered to be superior to the kit lens. By f2.8 the 35mm is prickly sharp, a sharpness level that the 16-85mm never reaches. In this test, the 35mm is noticeably sharper at all common apertures. Other reviews of the 35mm are consistent.

My copy of the 35mm (since given away) also was extremely sharp, and it was definitely sharper than a kit lens. Unfortunately, I did not find that it excel in shallow DOF shooting because the quality of the OOF areas (bokeh) was extremely harsh. I do agree that if you shoot at f11 or smaller apertures, there is likely little difference.

Therefore, I recommend the OP exchange his copy of the 35mm and retest.

Thanks for the advice gatorowl and your experiences with the lens.

Yes i did read the Cameralabs review previously, as also many other reviews which mentioned that the 35mm f/1.8 had excellent sharpness which is why i was surprised by my experience with the lens and my test results, and makes me think i might have a bad copy of the lens.

The thing is, where i live, there is no automatic replacement policy like in some other places. As this lens has no obvious physical/mechanical defects and no (i think) front/back focus issues, i'll need to convince the shopkeeper, from where i bought the lens, that it might indeed be defective.

faram k's gear list:faram k's gear list
Nikon D7000 Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Kenko Teleplus Pro 300 AF 2.0x Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-300mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow