Keith Z Leonard
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,440Gear list
Like?
Re: Besides the heft, is the 50mm 1.4 worth the extra cost over the 1.8
In reply to Kabe Luna, Apr 17, 2013

Kabe Luna wrote:

Keith Z Leonard wrote:

Kabe Luna wrote:

I had the Sigma for a few weeks, and I agree its image quality is hands-down the best of all the available 50/1.4 options (it even fares quite well against the vaunted 50/1.2L). However, from what I understand, it's impossible to get the Sigma to focus at the same point throughout its focus range. By default, it focuses correctly at the mid-range (say, for a waist-up portrait), but it's off for near and long distances–significantly so for wide apertures. If you fine-tune the AF for better close-up or near-infinity results, you give up accuracy, progressively, throughout the rest of the range.

I would say that your understanding might be flawed.  YOU can't do it with MFA, but the Sigma optical bench seem to have done a fine job on mine.

I am not of a mind that a brand new lens should have to be returned to its manufacturer to be made to work correctly.

Wow, I guess I should have returned my brand new Canon DSLR as well, as they've also been in to be made to "work correctly".  No company is infallible, good luck with life if you think they are.    At least these companies stood behind the products and fixed them up for me.

My experience with the lens was elation with its image quality, followed by ever-greater frustration about not being able to get that image quality through the wider range of usage. I sold it and got the Canon 50/1.4, which isn't as great wide open, but isn't very far off (and is actually better from f/4 onward) and actually focuses well and consistently from near to far distances.

The Canon's a good lens, just wish it had ring USM.

Indeed. However, I do enjoy its relatively compact size. If ring USM means it has to become as massive as the Sigma, I'll pass (however, given Nikon's 50/1.4 AF-S is roughly the same size as the current Canon 50/1.4 USM, I doubt this is the case). Also, higher build quality, overall, would be nice for this lens' replacement. The current lens uses cheap-feeling plastics.

It wouldn't, the massive size of the Sigma is based upon the optical design, which is in fact superior, not due to the ring type "HSM", Canon just needs to rev that prime, that's all.  Of course when they do it'll be at least 2x as expensive.  The Sigma really isn't all that massive, of course, when you compare it to the likes of the 85L (which is massive indeed) or any of the teles.

Keith Z Leonard's gear list:Keith Z Leonard's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow