Like?
Re: D800e Red Oversaturation
In reply to Tony Beach, Apr 16, 2013

Tony Beach wrote:

Steve Bingham wrote:

Tony Beach wrote:

michaeladawson wrote:

Randy Redford wrote:

I just printed my first image with the D800e -- shot raw and processed through ACR and PS (latest versions) and the reds are all way oversaturated to the point of almost being blown.

Have any of you had this issue?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

All I do know is that you have to be very conscious of the red channel because that is the one that will tend to blow out first.

This is very infrequently true.  The green channel blows out first far more often than the red channel.

As for your statement on the red channel being infrequently blown and the green MOST likely - well, I definitely disagree based on my past 30 years of blowing channels.  In fact, Velvia 50 had to be routinely rated at EI (exposure index) 64 instead of 50 - just as a matter of principal -to preserve the yellows.

Film is not digital, so referring to experience with film is absolutely irrelevant.  How about you show some proof of what you are claiming?  Here's some examples of what I routinely see:

The lower image is a nice example..... of the red channel blowing out!!!

What on earth are those "histogram" images you've put up there? The red channel is much closer to blowing out in both of those images, but your histogram suggests it's the green. That's completely at odds with the images you've posted.

Please explain what's going on here.

SB

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow