Started Apr 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
filibuster
Senior MemberPosts: 2,761
Like?
I created this simple chart......
Apr 16, 2013

... on matt photographic paper, dividing the image equally into a white area; 18% grey (unscientifically); and black (as dense as my current printer could create,) and took this shot with the camera set to grey scale.

I then zoomed in to the centre grey portion and took this scintillating image below.

Then made a second shot on the white portion of the picture, zoomed again to exclude everything but.

The last is another zoomed shot which everyone can see is obviously of the black portion of the original picture thus. (You can tell can’t you?)

SX50HS on tripod with AV selected. Zero exposure compensation and ‘spot’ metering applied.

Those with a degree of photographic knowledge will know and understand what is going on, but we do like to welcome and encourage people who are new to the photography and the forum, and so this is just a fun thing.

The idea came to me because I made a rather rash and sweeping statement in a different thread that clouds are grey not blue and implied that this was a white balance issue not often addressed.

The above, is nothing to do with white balance, but addresses another issue where the camera can get things spectacularly wrong.

-- hide signature --

Quote hhgttg: Life is wasted on the living.
filibuster (Bromsgrove, Worcestershire, UK)
http://picasaweb.google.com/scenic.filibuster

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow