So what's a good starter lens for the Olympus OMD EM5?

Started Apr 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
Doberman
Regular MemberPosts: 217Gear list
Like?
Re: So what's a good starter lens for the Olympus OMD EM5?
In reply to LMNCT, Apr 16, 2013

I was/am in a similar decision making stage. Been shooting DSLRs for a while, mainly Nikons. Few months ago got the OMD and havent used my DSLRs once.

Here are the lenses I got/tried and brief opinion on each. Remember, everyone has a different shooting style and have a connection with different lenses.

1) Kit lens, OK lens. Great since it is weather sealed, macro, zoom for video.

2) 75mm, wow. Keeper for sure. One of the sharpest lenses I ever used. Great for portraits, low light indoor portrais.

3) 45mm, great bokey, awesome value, awesome for portraits.

4)60mm Macro, if macro is your thing great lens, weather sealed. Doubles as a good portrait lens.

5) 9-18. It is $100 lower now. It is small, ok price. Not crazy about the 9mm. Had the 12mm a while back. Loved that lens. I am seriously considering repurchasing again, instead of the 9-18. Kit covers some of the range. For $200 more you get a faster lens, beautiful built quality, manual focus feature. And the IQ has a magical feel to it (IMO).

6) At some point will need a tele zoom.

Let me know if you have any specific questions, request on the lenses I have.

-- hide signature --

Murat

Doberman's gear list:Doberman's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony RX100 II Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100 Nikon D2H Nikon D300 +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow