2 D7100 Q's - From a D300s and D7000 Owner

Started Apr 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
RudyPohl
Senior MemberPosts: 2,936
Like?
Re: D300S to D7100 Curious
In reply to dcmackintosh, Apr 16, 2013

dcmackintosh wrote:

I'm in a similar upgrade quandry.  I had a D7000 on preorder 2.5 years ago but cancelled that and bought a very nearly new D300S for a little less money.  I think this was a good decision as I shoot sports in all weather (and indoors) and now have at least 70k releases on it.  I use screw-drive Nikon 80-200 f/2.8 AF-D and Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 zooms and Nikon 35 and 50 f/1.8G primes.  Fantastic camera.

However, the things I'd like to improve about the D300S are low-light performance (ISO 1,600 and above) and resolution (allowing tighter crops and bigger prints).  As good or better AF performance and weather sealing required.  The D7100 really has me thinking.

One thing that bothers me a little is no AF-On button, since I use that exclusively for focus on my D300S.  I think I'd read that the AE-L button can be used for AF, is that correct?  If not, that may be a deal breaker for me.

Yes, you can easily set the AE-L/AF-L button to function as the AF-ON button. I do it regularly.

Rudy

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow