Started Apr 15, 2013 | Discussions thread
SandyF
Forum ProPosts: 14,875Gear list
Like?
Re: Who cares
In reply to DMillier, Apr 16, 2013

DMillier wrote:

Actually, I thought I said this:

- 42MP image looks the same as 16MP image (from NEX 5n) when printed at A3 or smaller

- This means that unless you print larger than A3 or crop extensively, you won't see a resolution increase from upgrading the NEX 5n to (say) a D800 in your prints

- As lots of people have claimed for years that the 4.6MP Foveon was a match for detail for the 12MP generation of Bayers, then likewise if you upgrade to a Merrill you wont see any extra detail unless you print larger than A3.

- Therefore, if you have been desperate to get a Merrill but can't afford one or don't want to fork out the cash, you shouldn't feel so upset because as long as you print A3, your shots won't look any less detailed.

They may not look "any less detailed" due to RESOLUTON perhaps but there would be differences in appearance I think due to the sharpness and cleanness of the Merrill output as compared with other cameras.

Just look at my recent florals (I know you don't like florals ) and you see a difference between the SD15 and DP2Merrill. I think the difference would show in prints, even relatively small ones. Haven't tried printing comparisons directly myself though (yet). I can't get as sharp with even an excellent 70-200mmEX lens as compared with the DP2Merrill. That's going to show in prints, I think.

Best regards, Sandy
http://www.pbase.com/sandyfleischman (archival)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sandyfleischmann (current, new photos SD15, DP2Merrill)

SandyF's gear list:SandyF's gear list
Sigma DP2 Sigma DP1 Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sigma SD9 +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow