XF 55-200mm for wildlife photography?

Started Apr 15, 2013 | Discussions thread
Allen Chernack
Senior MemberPosts: 1,266Gear list
Like?
Re: XF 55-200mm for wildlife photography?
In reply to pghrugger, Apr 16, 2013

No lens is long enough or wide enough, it's been said.

I've been shooting wildlife such as humming birds, bears, wolves and other birds big and small for maybe 10 years. My longest lens is a canon 70-300 mm which translates to about 480 on the long end.  I've shot hummers at feeders and in the wild with it and crop a lot but still get a good image and print.

I will definetly get the Fuji 55-200 mm although it is really a little short. Kind of medium zoom for wildlife.

I've attached my Canon to the fuji with a Rainbow brand adapter but without the interface, it's too difficult to use for a moving object since it's all manual at that point.  And it's heavy and awkward. Another thing I use is a Sony HX-30 which has an optical equivelent of 500 mm.  But with LCD only, hard to track moving objects and keep steady.  Other small sensor, long lens cameras are another choice depending on their image quality.

You might also consider, heaven forbid, going to a lightweight DSLR like Canon Rebel or others with a full range of lenses.

Choices, choices.  Aren't we lucky to have them?

-- hide signature --

tourretired
Travel in RV when not home.

Allen Chernack's gear list:Allen Chernack's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX30V Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow