Besides the heft, is the 50mm 1.4 worth the extra cost over the 1.8

Started Apr 13, 2013 | Discussions thread
Kabe Luna
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,362Gear list
Like?
Re: Besides the heft, is the 50mm 1.4 worth the extra cost over the 1.8
In reply to sean lancaster, Apr 16, 2013

sean lancaster wrote:

If you're wanting to use the 50 wide open (and you seem to indicate that is the case), then I'd explore the Sigma 50/1.4. Here's a thread elsewhere that compared the Sigma, and the two Canon 50s (1.4 and 1.8).

I had the Sigma for a few weeks, and I agree its image quality is hands-down the best of all the available 50/1.4 options (it even fares quite well against the vaunted 50/1.2L). However, from what I understand, it's impossible to get the Sigma to focus at the same point throughout its focus range. By default, it focuses correctly at the mid-range (say, for a waist-up portrait), but it's off for near and long distances–significantly so for wide apertures. If you fine-tune the AF for better close-up or near-infinity results, you give up accuracy, progressively, throughout the rest of the range.

My experience with the lens was elation with its image quality, followed by ever-greater frustration about not being able to get that image quality through the wider range of usage. I sold it and got the Canon 50/1.4, which isn't as great wide open, but isn't very far off (and is actually better from f/4 onward) and actually focuses well and consistently from near to far distances.

-- hide signature --
 Kabe Luna's gear list:Kabe Luna's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon Df Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow