What is wrong with manual focus?

Started Apr 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
Guidenet
Forum ProPosts: 13,122Gear list
Like?
Re: What is wrong with autofocus?
In reply to mobi1, Apr 16, 2013

mobi1 wrote:

Only thing wrong is that having a motor in lens for auto focus pushes the price up!

Not as much as you'd think. The different gearing, dampening and other things in a well made manual focus lens is just as expensive. Look at what's out there. Nikon still makes several brand new manual focus lenses. Cosina makes the Zeiss line and the Voigtlander line of manual focus lenses. Even the cheaper Voigtlanders aren't cheaper than their AF counterparts most of the time. I don't think there is any evidence of manual focus being any less expensive than autofocus in your higher lineup of lenses.

That said, Korean companies like Samyang in it's many various names makes many good inexpensive manual focus lenses. I'm not sure they're cheaper because they are manual focus or because the cost of labor where they are made. Regardless, they are avalable to you if you want to save some cash.

I think the cost of autofocus is trivial in relationship to the cost of the lens on high quality lenses though. When you approach those costly lenses, you're paying for the better designs, ED glass, Nano coatings, Flourite elements, and other similar things. Whether or not top level glass is important to you is another thing altogether.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Craig
Follow me on Twitter @craighardingsr : Equipment in Profile

Guidenet's gear list:Guidenet's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF +24 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow