Tony Beach
Senior MemberPosts: 5,101
Like?
Re: D800e Red Oversaturation
In reply to Stacey_K, Apr 16, 2013

Stacey_K wrote:

Tony Beach wrote:

Stacey_K wrote:

Now I've learned to under expose when there are hot reds in the scene and be ready to desaturate them in post if needed to keep them from being blown.

I find it amazing how bad advice keeps being dispensed in these forums.

And I'm equally amazed how rude people are online..

If there are "hot reds" in the scene, then you would not be underexposing.  Adjusting EC on the camera is often required, but red presents no more problems (and often less) than bright clouds.  Here for instance is a test shot I took a few years ago where I was testing the red channel argument using Matrix metering with no exposure compensation (Center-weighted metering did in fact require some negative exposure compensation:

The context of this testing was the Picture Controls that Nikon introduced with the D300 and D3, and how using the D2X Picture Controls kept the reds from blowing out.  This is arguably a "hot red" scene, and the answer was not to underexpose but to instead choose a different Picture Control.

You may consider it rude to take exception to your bad advice, but I consider it just as rude to ignore what has already been discussed in this thread and just advocate underexposing as the solution.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow