Need advice reg. recently bought 35mm f/1.8 Dx lens

Started Apr 16, 2013 | Questions thread
Guidenet
Forum ProPosts: 12,717Gear list
Like?
Re: Need advice reg. recently bought 35mm f/1.8 Dx lens
In reply to faram k, Apr 16, 2013

At 35mm, the 18-300 is a pretty sharp lens overall. It's just big and slow. Where the 18-300 really suffers is from 135mm all the way to 300mm. IMO, it is somewhat pathetic performance-wise and there's where you're more likely to use a long lens. At under 135mm, there are so many more compact and easier to use choices.

Now, Camera Labs did a comparison of several super ratio zoom lenses to the 35 f/1.8 and the sides and corners were horrendous in comparison to the prime lens. I'm not sure the 18-300 was part of it, but I'm sure it would be the same thing.

I don't think there's anything wrong with your 35 f/1.8 except maybe your expectations. I'd go out and create some compelling images rather than test charts. If you can't tell what you have in real life shooting, you might consider some other endeavor. I've never seen a great compelling composition of a test chart. You've got a decent camera and decent lens. Master them both and show us what you can do.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Craig
Follow me on Twitter @craighardingsr : Equipment in Profile

Guidenet's gear list:Guidenet's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF +24 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow