Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Chas P
Contributing MemberPosts: 812Gear list
Like?
Edit Re: 28/1.8G on DX
In reply to Guidenet, Apr 16, 2013

Guidenet wrote:

DavidPonting wrote:

This is one of the things stopping me from moving to FX - I find this FoV perfect to walk around with (whereas 35mm equiv is too wide and 50mm equiv too tight), and there aren't any AF FX 40-45mm lenses (excepting the £1500 PC-E one).

This lens lives on my camera!

The difference between 35mm and 50mm is only 15mm obviously. 44-50 is even less. That's maybe a step or two difference with one's feet. The advantage of a prime is you can move around and find the best perspective. I'm not sure I've ever heard of standing in one place and needing quite that narrow of a range in field of view. If so, just get a zoom lens.

If you really need a 40mm, there's the manual focus Voigtlander 40mm f/2.0 Ultron SL II.

But I just don't think it's much of an excuse for not going FX. Not really

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Craig
Follow me on Twitter @craighardingsr : Equipment in Profile

Hi Craig, Sorry for the cross-post. A step or two makes all the difference when shooting people from 3 or four paces. Moving to get the best perspective almost always means moving back further than is comfortable with the 50 or getting too close with the 35. Try it. The Voigtlander being MF only is a no-no for me as I have a light in my left hand a lot of the time.

Edit - just read to the end of the thread and see you're recommending the 28 on DX.. I rest my keypad..:-|

2nd Edit_I just googled "40mm the perfect" and found this. (or 28mm on DX, as he says)

Chas P's gear list:Chas P's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 II DG HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow