The (in)significance of resolution

Started Apr 15, 2013 | Discussions thread
SandyF
Forum ProPosts: 14,875Gear list
Like?
Re: Who cares
In reply to DMillier, Apr 16, 2013

DMillier wrote:

OK, let "typical amateur photographer" be a proxy for someone whose interest in photography is at a keener level than a family/holiday snapshooter but who is not a professional working to a client's brief.

This person is someone who has an active interest in photography as a hobby so is likely to be interested in high quality, is prepared to make a lot more effort and commitment than the smartphone occasional snapper. They may well be a member of a camera club and will go to the effort of making and mounting prints to hang on the wall but who isn't necessarily so financially invested (like a pro) to the point of owning a studio with their own large format printer.  Such a person probably owns a DSLR with more than the kit lens, can edit their own photos in Photoshop, Lightroom etc and very likely owns am A3+ printer.

Does this person exist as a group? Who knows but for it is for me a concept of the photo hobbyiest, the kind of person who might say that photography is their primary leisure pursuit. I would guess a reasonable description of a frequent, long term DPR forum visitor?

-- hide signature --

Gee, sounds like me, LOL.

And by the way, we have the cellphone snapper in the family circle (our daughter) and uninterested in using a camera (my husband). I gave our son-in-law my full Pentax gear, 2 cameras and lenses. They've been in Iceland and Germany this week, I'll be interested to see their photos!

Best regards, Sandy
http://www.pbase.com/sandyfleischman (archival)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sandyfleischmann (current)

SandyF's gear list:SandyF's gear list
Sigma DP2 Sigma DP1 Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sigma SD9 +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow