Started Apr 13, 2013 | Discussions thread
Guidenet
Forum ProPosts: 12,494Gear list
Like?
Re: About to Buy -- What do you think ?
In reply to scorrpio, Apr 16, 2013

scorrpio wrote:

Guidenet wrote:

Thank you, Mike. Guess what lens I used to take my granddaughter handing me the leaf? Hint. Your favorite crop normal zoom as well as my favorite. I used the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8. That lens is the sharpest APS-C lens I ever used and I think has the prettiest ouitput.

Love that lens.  Have the non-VC version for Canon, and it is sharp as a tack all way down to f/2.8, provided the shutter is fast enough.   Was a real bargain at $400 too.

I totally lucked out. I wanted the one without a focus motor or VC. I had a hard time finding it and was prepared to pay new price for a good used one. I'd just sold my Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 because I wasn't happy with it and had heard great stuff about the Tamron. I wanted that focal range.

My camera store called me and told me they'd gotten two Promaster 17-50 f/2.8 lenses which are rebadged Tamrons. No difference. I knew that and had been looking for either on the new or used market. At the time, because of the cult-like attitude many had with this lens, the used ones were selling for the same price as new or around $440, even Promaster, in Nikon mount. Remember, this is the screwdriver version only. The micro motor on the Nikon mount chirped and whined as well as hunted. Not so with Canon for some reason.

He said Promaster was clearancing them because Tamron was now supplying the ones with the built in micro motor I didn't want. I went down there and picked up mine for $299 brand new in the box. The only downside is the name Promaster if I ever want to sell it. People might not know it's a rebadged Tamron and not be willing to pay much. I'll not sell it so I don't really care. If I did, I don't lose much regardless. Because I shoot FX exlusively, this lens gets almost no use so is in pristine condition almost three years later. Anyway, a $299 I consider myself very lucky.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Craig
Follow me on Twitter @craighardingsr : Equipment in Profile

Guidenet's gear list:Guidenet's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF +24 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow