FZ200 at the Farm Shop - 4 pics - and settings (Oh no, not settings . . . )

Started Apr 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
Mikedigi
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,444Gear list
Like?
Re: FZ200 at the Farm Shop - 4 pics - and settings (Oh no, not settings . . . )
In reply to Mikedigi, Apr 16, 2013

I wrote:

Ruth Lipnick wrote:

I love these images. I'm from NYC but a farm girl at heart. Still a newbie. Haven't figured out ires yet but will get to it. Meanwhile, great pictures.

Thanks Ruth, life without PP is possible a lot of the time, and enjoyable.

Since starting this thread, I have done a run of 36 SOOC JPEGs in very careful conditions (tripod, etc) using every possible combination of Sharpness and Noise Reduction, but only at 100 ISO and 59mm EFL.  Comparing all these, I am still happy with the settings I mentioned in my opening post, but additionally, I could find no trace of iResolution wiping away surface detail, and all the surface details were better with iResolution On than with iResolution Off.

So I have now switched iResolution On (iZoom setting) pretty much permanently because to my eyes it improves both edge sharpness and surface details . . . or if not always, then most of the time, and I can stop switching it On and Off.

I have just run a couple of shots at 240mm EFL  with iRes On,  0 Co,  0 Sa,  -1 Sh and  -2 Nr,  f4.5,  1/40 sec,  100 ISO,  Standard v Vivid:

1]  Standard (12mp full size):

2]  Vivid (12mp full size):

3]  Standard left, Vivid right, 60%, FastStone Comparator, saved in FastStone Capture:

4]   Standard left, Vivid right, 60%, FastStone Comparator, saved in FastStone Capture:

5]   Standard left, Vivid right, 60%, FastStone Comparator, saved in FastStone Capture:

Vivid is by no means Disneyland and does have its uses.  Kind of "Persil washes whiter."

Sharpness is probably better at this 240 mm EFL than at wider angles, e.g. 25-100mm EFL.

The dawg in the background is, of course, very out of focus, not enough depth of field at f4.5.

Mike

Mikedigi's gear list:Mikedigi's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F20 Zoom Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow