Converging verticals - do you correct partially ..... or fully?

Started Apr 15, 2013 | Discussions thread
WIMorrison
Contributing MemberPosts: 796Gear list
Like?
Re: Converging verticals - do you correct partially ..... or fully?
In reply to Tom Axford, Apr 16, 2013

Tom Axford wrote:

WIMorrison wrote:

Tom Axford wrote:

Zone8 wrote:

It is worth remembering that most do the correction in such as PhotoShop but forget to then resize the image to correct for the stretching vertically.

I don't understand this comment - what vertical stretching are you referring to?

When you correct the verticals by stretching the image horizontaly then you need to stretch the vertical a tad otherwise the image will look squat and fat.

-- hide signature --

Iain Morrison LRPS CPAGB
wimorrison.co.uk

It sounds as if you use a more primitive method of software correction if you have to separately stretch in the horizontal and vertical directions.

I generally correct in Silkypix while processing raw images. There is a slider for vertical perspective correction - it gives the correct transformation (which involves progressive stretching both horizontally and vertically: exactly what is required to correct for the camera pointing above or below the horizon).

No further vertical stretching (or compression) is needed.

Tom

If you use perspective correction in ACR then it works exactly the same as your program (I downloaded it to take a look), however if you do the correction within Photoshop you can end up with the image looking short and fat - like any manipulation you need to be aware of what you are doing

If you keep the camera level (side to side, and back to front) when taking the picture you will not get convergence but that may not always be feasible.

I find that leaving a small amount of convergence looks better, it is what the eye expects - if it to rectilinear then the building looks like it is top heavy and about to fall over!

-- hide signature --

Iain Morrison LRPS CPAGB
wimorrison.co.uk

WIMorrison's gear list:WIMorrison's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow