About to Buy -- What do you think ?

Started Apr 13, 2013 | Discussions thread
headfirst
Contributing MemberPosts: 585Gear list
Like?
Re: Takes a licking and keeps on ticking
In reply to 123Mike, Apr 16, 2013

Mike, you are sticking your head in the sand/fingers in ears & going la,la,la ...

I'm a long-time Minolta/Sony shooter so I should be in your court & in many ways I am. I believe that Sony are driving towards a change in cameras that will eventually become universal & I believe in their future which is why I have invested further in the system. & I believe that for 99% of people the lenses available for Alpha are more than enough in both quality & quantity.

The A57 is an excellent lower mid level body & probably better value than it's equivalent Canon & Nikon competitors. However, it isn't a universal panacea - if you can spend more you can get better in some ways or else Sony wouldn't bother making the A65, A77 & A99.

Even these can be bested for certain needs if you have the money e.g. the best APS-C action/sports body is the Canon 7D. I might not like that but denying it or ignoring doesn't change it ... Why is it the best? Because it has the best AF system & buffer depth by a head both of which are extremely important for that use, moreso imo than sheer fps. Providing that is why it's also the dearest though.

The OP started out mentioning the 60D - I'm quite sure that the A57 can keep up with that in the overall feature/performance stakes {& I would put the 16-50/2.8 SSM up against the 17-55/2.8 IS} but imo it will fall behind in the ergonomic/ease of use stakes simply due to the 60D having 2 control dials -  that's very important to me. It's 1 reason that I have an A77 rather than an A65 or A57.

Because he came in with that & he hasn't posted back we don't really know what features may or may not be important to him but normally one would try to match the features to the needs. It maybe that 1 of the A57's features may outweigh the ergonomics for him but we just don't know as he hasn't had any more input.

headfirst's gear list:headfirst's gear list
Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony Alpha DSLR-A200 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony SLT-A77 +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow