ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
faram k
Forum MemberPosts: 78Gear list
Like?
Need advice reg. recently bought 35mm f/1.8 Dx lens
Apr 16, 2013

Hi everybody,

I recently purchased a Nikkor 35mm f/1.8 Dx lens.

Since going digital, for reasons of convenience and cost,  i have always used zoom lenses. Anyway, after reading lots of good reviews about the Nikon 35mm f/1.8 lens and seeing that it is relatively inexpensive, i went and bought it. Having read in lots of different places that, in general, prime lens images are sharper than zooms, i expected the images taken with this lens to be much sharper than the ones taken with my Nikon 18-300 f/4.5-5.6 zoom. Unfortunately, i couldn't discern any difference in image quality in real-life photos i shot. So, for the last week or two i've shot hundreds of test shots of various resolution charts but here too i can't find much difference.

I've added below, 100% crops of a USAF 1951 chart shot from 50 inches away using the 35mm f/1.8 lens and the 18-300 lens set to 35mm. The sharpest images seem to be at f/5.6 and f/8 for both lenses. The 35mm f/1.8 lens images are shot from f/1.8 to f/11 and the 18-300 lens images are from f/4.5 to f/11.

I placed the camera (D7000) on a sturdy table as i didn't want tripod shake to come into the equation. I used remote shutter release with mirror up and switched off VR in the 18-300 lens. I also tested for front/back focus but didn't need to use AF micro-adjustment for both the lenses, at least at 50 inches target distance.

Can you please advice me if the results i obtained are normal or whether the 35mm f/1.8 lens i have is defective and should be returned.

Thanks

35MM F/1.8 DX LENS IMAGES

18-300 F/4.5-5.6 DX LENS IMAGES

faram k's gear list:faram k's gear list
Nikon D7000 Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Kenko Teleplus Pro 300 AF 2.0x Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-300mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR +1 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow