how does the 16-50 PZ lens compare to the 18-55 kit lens on the NEX 5N specifically?

Started Apr 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
captura
Forum ProPosts: 12,917Gear list
Like?
Re: how does the 16-50 PZ lens compare to the 18-55 kit lens on the NEX 5N specifically?
In reply to joe talks photography, Apr 16, 2013

joe talks photography wrote:

Generally the 16-50 power zoom by many of the more reliable sources is considered a better lens than 18-55, which has always been viewed fairly poorly.

After saying this, I don't know why you would waste the money unless your only intended use for it on the 5n is video.

The RX100 should get a refresh (at least according to me!) fairly soon. I owned one and it is stellar at lowest ISOs. Aside from poor ergonomics, if I am going to shoot without and evf/ovf, that's is what I would use.

Finishing up, I have to say that I will never go for the overpriced pedestrian performing 24 1.8 CZ lens. But good luck with that.

-- hide signature --

Joe

To the best of my knowledge, no one has re-tested the 18-55 with the new firmware updates for the body and the lens, and with the newer in-camera distortion correction applied. So wouldn't those "more reliable sources" be old news?

I expect that a comparison test of the 2 lenses would show that they are close, except below 20mm where the 18-55 is much better.

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow