how does the 16-50 PZ lens compare to the 18-55 kit lens on the NEX 5N specifically?

Started Apr 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
Rickj23
Regular MemberPosts: 453
Like?
Re: how does the 16-50 PZ lens compare to the 18-55 kit lens on the NEX 5N specifically?
In reply to GaryW, Apr 16, 2013

GaryW wrote:

blue_skies wrote:

Rickj23 wrote:

blue_skies wrote:

Rickj23 wrote:

.... standard lens for the NEX 6 camera replacement as well. The NEX 6 has some serious flaws e.g. non touch screen, restricted articulation of touch screen due to the location of EVF etc. I really could nor see the reason for fixed EVF in NEX 6, when for a little more money, the EVF could have been articulated, hen much more useful for macro photography. As well, the NEX 6 flash light with GN6 [in contrast with GN12 on flash supplied with NEX 5R/N],

GN7, as someone else posted.  It's useful for fill light, and flash if you need it.  If you need more flash, at least the 6 can handle "real" flashes.  Anyway, the 6's built-in flash is no more or less useful than the 5's.

was rather pointless.  Hence, as with NEX 6, I feel that SEL1650PZ is a similar halfway house effort. Sony have brought out this lens, for the sake of bringing out something new, not necessarily "something better".

There were a number of people complaining about the size of Nex lenses (perhaps m43 fans, mostly?), so my guess would be that they wanted to compete with the m43 collapsible lens.  I can't see that I see anymore "Nex lenses are huge!" posts, not like before!

...

Somehow I missed the point of your argument here !

You are harping on a kit zoom lens that is just a kit zoom lens. It is a tradeoff versus the larger kit zoom lens, but both are zoom lenses and both are compromised by cost and features, alike all the kit zoom lenses by manufacturers - the pricing of such a kit lens is a constraint.

And all zooms are compromised over primes.

Higher end zoom lenses exist for most brands, but at 3x the price, because of the increased cost.

As far as taking shots with the both lenses in the dim lighten coffee shop, I have made quite a few comparative macro shots of well lighten garden plants and a few outdoor portraits.

To my mind the SEL1650PZ has clearly been designed with NEX 3N in mind ... it works with 3N in the same way as all compact Sony [and Canon] cameras work with build in zooms .... i.e. the SEL1650PZ is operated by the lever in front of the shutter button.  This lens has never meant to be used with NEX 5R, 6 or 7.  After all, what is the point of making a compact PZ lens for camera body that is the size of NEX 6?

My Nex-6 has a zoom-control button, and the CIZ switches on automatically, as is the display bar. None of this is true for the 5N or the 7. You think this is an afterthought and that the electronic zoom lenses were only meant for the 3 series?

The Sony Corporation is struggling on all sides .... the camera side is probably one of their more profitable enterprises by comparison with computers,  3D TVs and smart phones.

So... the camera side is doing the right things?  

But seeing the NEX 3N with SEL1650PZ ... and the NEX 3N specification downgraded in every possible way [low res LCD, much lower ASA range, lower continuous frame speed, lower HD frame speed etc.] makes me think that Sony has lost is with the current NEX 3N release.

I am sorry if Sony has wronged you. The 3N is meant to be a price leader, and marketing is very careful to have the 3, 5, 6 and 7 series have distinguishable features - it is what they do.

They should have lower-priced models if they can make a profit doing so.  Electronic products tend to be price-sensitive with most buyers.  Few are going to cough up the extra needed for the 6 much less the 7.

With regard to a Japanese made SEL1855 [black] that is still currently available ... and the SEL1855 silver anodised Thai made lens that is shipped with NEX 5R .... it is not the same lens in the different colour as you suggest.  Although that both lenses have the same number of elements and the same grouping .... they feel and perform differently.

I am sure that cost-cutting measures have come into play, normal for products over their lifetime. Optically, I expect no differences however. And, fwiw, the silver version from Thailand existed before the black version.

I thought production only switched from Thailand to Japan due to the flood destroying their factory in Thailand?

I have no beef with my Thai-made 18-55.

A bit like comparing BMW made in US with BMW made in Bavaria. The US made BMW will spend 3x as much time in the workshop as would the German made BMW .... yet the advertising campaign will tell you that they are both made to same exacting standards.  I have been there ... and have the tee shirt to prove it.

3x!  How do they stay in business?

My VW is made in Germany, but no one has been able to say that Mexican made VWs are that much worse, if any (at least on the VW forums I frequent).  (Many parts are probably still made overseas.  Even the German-made cars are going to have parts made other than in Germany.)

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

German VW cars have gearboxes and other parts made in Czech Republic [by Skoda] and in Slovakia [by company that makes all EU made Audi Q7].  If you think that Mexican, Brazilian, or Chinese made VW cars are as good, or better than German made vehicles, than that is your prerogative.  I happen to think otherwise.  Nor that long ago I have bought a Sony replacement charger for Sony FG1 battery [from HK on E-Bay], when it arrived, it looked identical to one that was sold in the local Sony dedicated outlet, the packaging was identical ... but the price was 30% of what it would cost me to buy this unit in UK.  The first time I plugged the charger into mains, it overheated and cracked in the glued seams. It was one of the white, universal chargers that take 3 different Sony batteries.  Gone back to E-Bay, raised the case against the Hong Kong seller on account of them selling the fakes and calling them a "genuine Sony product" .... and back came the answer ... "please don't give us the negative review, we will give you your money back"... "our product is the genuine Sony product" ... but it is "intended for sale in Chinese market only".  The fact was, that although the product was correctly rated [input and output Voltage], it didn't comply with European safety regulations  ... which Sony really didn't care about, because Chinese consumer has low expectations of the product quality. So in the case of BMW cars made in US and the Mercedes cars being made in South Africa? There is a reason why German cars are cheaper in US, or in RSA, then they are in Germany .... and the reason is that Americans don't expect much and as long as it has the right badge on the bonnet ... that is good enough.

I on the other hand expect the premium quality If I am paying the premium price. This business of globalisation was meant to provide us with cheaper, yet good quality [or acceptable] products.  When it comes to photography .... acceptable is not the word that comes to my mind. And when it comes to Japanese corporations like Sony ... the word "cheap" is not in their vocabulary, irrespective of whether the lens is made in Korea ... or in Rwanda-Burundi.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow