how does the 16-50 PZ lens compare to the 18-55 kit lens on the NEX 5N specifically?

Started Apr 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
Rickj23
Regular MemberPosts: 456
Like?
Re: how does the 16-50 PZ lens compare to the 18-55 kit lens on the NEX 5N specifically?
In reply to GaryW, Apr 16, 2013

GaryW wrote:

Rickj23 wrote:

Mark K wrote:

I am the only happy owner here..1650 came with Nex 6 and worked on my 5n..very versatile with good range. If image quality is your major concern, simply use prime lenses

-- hide signature --

Mark K

I thought that "image quality" is the "major concern" for anyone buying the camera !

But image quality at any cost?  There is a point of diminishing returns.

Why pay extra for the camera with a kit lens that performs worse than the older kit lens.

Some people are concerned with size as well.  So, you can have a compromise and compactness.

And even if the 16-50 is worse than the 18-55 (I think the jury's still out on this one), it's still in the ballpark of kit lenses, even compared to bulky DSLRs.  I've seen posted photos, they just don't look bad.

N.B. as NEX 6 is still supplied with the older SEL1855 as the £100.00 [$150.00] cheaper option?  And indeed, why not buy NEX 6 body only and buy the relevant prime lens at the same time ?

For some people, it's just going to be more convenient to have a zoom, particularly when traveling and not necessarily having the time to stop and fiddle with the camera and swap lenses, etc.  There are times when I'm lucky to get photos at all; I'd be left behind if I had to stop long enough to swap lenses....  And then there are times where I have all the time in the world.

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

Yes the zoom is considerably more convenient than fixed focal length lens for travel photography.  But there are people on this forum who expressed their preference for prime lens / lenses. Hence my advise to them was .... buy the NEX body only and if you buy the body and the prime lens from the Sony outlet, or the Sony website "at the same time" ... you will still get the substantial discount [percentually nearly as much discount as if you have bought the camera with the bundled kit lens].

Coming back to zoom lenses ... my preference was and still is for push-pull zoom lenses with a single zoom/focusing ring.  I don't like zoom lenses where you need to first focus and then zoom ... and then refocus ! It is the waste of time and in many cases the "waste of the moment".  As if that wasn't enough, Sony brought out a fiddly PZ kit lens, that for the sake of miniaturisation [or pocketability to some?] .. combines all the worse features in one package.  Then again, perhaps it is just me.  To be able to carry the APS-C camera in my jeans pocket was never a prime consideration, when I decided on the NEX 5R.  The prime consideration was always .... that it makes good pictures in the low light, without the flash  ... so that I can take candid snaps in the crowded street, or bar,  without being noticed, harassed, or in anyway molested.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow