Like?
Re: Panasonic GH3 review
In reply to exdeejjjaaaa, Apr 16, 2013

exdeejjjaaaa wrote:

Detail Man wrote:

R Butler wrote:

exdeejjjaaaa wrote:

R Butler wrote:
but the GH3 has the tendency towards underexposure that we've seen before in Panasonics. Not to a terrible degree, but enough for it to be marked down a touch.

you will see the raw data it is actually Olympus undexposing trying to preserve highlights for JPG shooters, not Panasonic

I disagree:

Olympus uses a lower Raw value to give middle grey in its JPEGs. (Which is what you're hacking your way 'round if you remove the correction in DNG).

Panasonic simply underexposes from time-to-time.

From a Raw perspective there would be little difference between the two files, but only one of those two situations ends with JPEGs that are too dark (underexposed). And that's not what you want if you shoot JPEG.

It seems to me, deej, that the statement surrounding JPGs has nothing to do with RAW ADU levels.

true, but as not everybody shoots JPGs, at least the review has to make that clear.

I suppose. Even though we are RAW-shooters, it seems (to me) a fair assumption that in cases when DPReview is referring to RAW (and not JPG) recording, then they likely would specifically state that.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow