About to Buy -- What do you think ?

Started Apr 13, 2013 | Discussions thread
123Mike
Senior MemberPosts: 3,083Gear list
Like?
Re: Really?
In reply to bugzie, Apr 16, 2013

bugzie wrote:

Nonsense! You don't know what I know and what I don't know. I'm literally surrounded by a bunch of arrogant self entitled childish people around here. But you know what? I was warned about that. The other day I was at a camera store, and brought up the subject of online forums and DPR, and pretty much the whole store laughed. The utter shredding and ripping people apart here is just absurd. Insults flying on every single possible occasion. And where does it happen the most? In specific forums like this, where aggressive people like just can't wait to pounce on others. Trying to make yourself look big by trying to put the other guy down.

The reason why people deride DPR is it's full of "gear heads" where the type of camera you have and your knowledge of the technology is more important than your ability to take photographs.

I have great respect for the artistic aspect of photography, and I'm working hard to learn to understand what makes a photo interesting. I've been working on that for quite a while now. It's not easy, because my brain is not wired like an artist. I bought a book called "The Photographer's Eye" from Michael Freeman. What little I knew about composition, I'm trying to bring to the next level.

But wait. Now we're talking about photography... hmmm, wasn't this all about bashing the Sony guy?

Where people take endless test photographs of brick walls to test the sharpness of their lenses when they can't take a decent photograph to save themselves. Where people pimp a certain brand or camera no matter what the original post asks. Where people argue to the death about the merits of their specific brand or camera. Where people brag about their incredible gear instead of getting out and using it. In short, where the gear is more important than the photography. And threads like this are symptomatic of the problem. You're not the only person who's participating in this nonsense. Sorry Craig, but you do not need a kick-ass 500mm lens to take a lovely photograph of your grandchild. You can take lovely photographs of your grandchildren with a bog-standard kit lens. The most important ingredient is put some heart in your photography. I'm not saying the photographs of grandchildren are rubbish. They're great. And you obviously love them and have a rapport with them. That's what really counts.

And I wanted to help arm a new comer with a camera that I know delivers. But I hear you about the things detracting away from the photography aspect.

123Mike's gear list:123Mike's gear list
Sony SLT-A57 A3000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Sony DT 55-300mm F4.5-5.6 SAM +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow