Before I take the plunge and purchase a Nikon D800e. Any thoughts on the rumored

Started Apr 15, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shotcents
Senior MemberPosts: 4,087Gear list
Like?
Re: Before I take the plunge and purchase a Nikon D800e. Any thoughts on the rumored
In reply to Astrophotographer 10, Apr 16, 2013

Astrophotographer 10 wrote:

There is a noticeable difference between D800E and D800. DXO mark and Lens Rental tests show the difference to be more than you are likely to have reported here. I could see it clearly in many posted examples. Some say just use more sharpening on D800. I am not a fan of current sharpening tech, it usually comes at a cost to the image. Better to get it right in the first place. Its a bit like the difference between a good lens and a lens that is top notch.

Greg.

Where are the full frame, full res files that show such a difference after PP? And spare us the 200% crops.

We're all on the internet together so let's see some.

Somehow folks forget the rules of physics here. As you stop down the rules of diffraction zero out the differences between the cameras. You can see Thom Hogan's report on the cams (and others) that points this out.

The D800e seems to enjoy the bigger part of it's small sharpness gain below F5.6, exactly where many complain that the D800 razor like detail is already too much for portrait work! I've yet to see a big print from the D800 that looked any different from the E, probably because the differences are just about gone after F8. And for more shallow depth of field, either camera has more resolution than most of us would ever need.

And I'm sorry for the honesty, but very few shooters get close to exploiting the 36mp of a D800 to begin with. So worrying about the AA filter is a lot like me worrying about how my car handles on a track I'll never drive on.

And BTW, having shot with both cams, the differences between them is NOTHING like that found between lenses. You're more likely to find bigger real work differences in acuity between two samples of the SAME lens.

Robert

Shotcents's gear list:Shotcents's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800 Nikon D5200 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow